lunes, 20 de noviembre de 2023

I WILL SURVIVE. GLORIA GAYNOR

 


Esta canción se ha convertido en un himno de esperanza, de supervivencia (This song has given hope to many looking to move on from a troubled relationship, but when she recorded the song, Gaynor was happily married). Se ha utilizado en campañas protagonizadas por personas famosas del mundo del espectáculo.


Pero la canción tuvo un significado diferente para el compositor Dino Fekaris: superar una situación laboral complicada y conseguir la seguridad y confianza en su talento como escritor de letras de canciones:

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/gloria-gaynor/i-will-survive

This female-empowerment anthem is about moving on after a bad relationship. Over the years, it has taken on meaning for people who have overcome just about any difficult situation, but for the song's lyricist, Dino Fekaris, it was about getting fired by Motown Records, where he was a staff writer. Says Fekaris: "They let me go after almost seven years. I was an unemployed songwriter contemplating my fate. I turned the TV on, and there it was: a song I had written for a movie theme titled Generation was playing right then (the song was performed by Rare Earth). I took that as an omen that things were going to work out for me. I remember jumping up and down on the bed saying, 'I'm going to make it. I'm going to be a songwriter. I will survive!"


 Among the many artists who have covered this: Diana Ross, Selena, Gladys Knight, and Cake. Cake's version provides a gender reversal as it was now a man singing about a woman who he must free himself from emotionally. Their version is slower, implying that he is still trying to get over her. It's also more profane, with "I should have changed that stupid lock" replaced with "I should have changed that f--king lock." Gloria Gaynor says it is her least favorite version of the song.


También podemos recordar la película THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT

Priscilla, the bus, has broken down in the desert. An Aboriginal man (Alan Dargin) invites the three drag artists to his nearby camp, where they put on an impromptu show. Everyone joins in, including a didgeridoo player.



I Will Survive  Song by Gloria Gaynor 

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side
But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong
And I learned how to get along
And so you're back
From outer space
I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face
I should have changed that stupid lock, I should have made you leave your key
If I'd known for just one second you'd be back to bother me

Go on now, go, walk out the door
Just turn around now
'Cause you're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye?
You think I'd crumble?
You think I'd lay down and die?

Oh no, not I, I will survive
Oh, as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live
And I've got all my love to give and I'll survive
I will survive, hey, hey

It took all the strength I had not to fall apart
Kept trying hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart
And I spent oh-so many nights just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry
But now I hold my head up high and you see me
Somebody new
I'm not that chained-up little person still in love with you
And so you felt like dropping in and just expect me to be free
Well, now I'm saving all my lovin' for someone who's loving me

Go on now, go, walk out the door
Just turn around now
'Cause you're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to break me with goodbye?
You think I'd crumble?
You think I'd lay down and die?

Oh no, not I, I will survive
Oh, as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live
And I've got all my love to give and I'll survive
I will survive

Oh
Go on now, go, walk out the door
Just turn around now
'Cause you're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to break me with goodbye?
You think I'd crumble?
You think I'd lay down and die?

Oh no, not I, I will survive
Oh, as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live
And I've got all my love to give and I'll survive
I will survive
I will survive

Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Dino Fekaris / Frederick J. Perren

 

VOCABULARY

do wrong vtr + n            (commit a crime)           cometer un delito loc verb /  (formal)      delinquir vi

do wrong vtr + n            (commit a sin)   cometer un pecado loc verb  / pecar vi

do [sb] wrong vtr + n   informal (betray, harm)   ser desleal loc verb engañar vtr traicionar vtr

            Frankie and Johnny were lovers, but he was doing her wrong with Nellie Bly.

            Frankie y Johnny eran amantes, pero él le era desleal / él la engañaba / él la traicionaba con Nellie Bly.

 

get along vi phrasal       informal (be friends)       llevarse bien loc verb

            My friends and I get along very well.  Me llevo muy bien con mis amigos.

get along vi phrasal      informal (cope)  arreglárselas  loc verb /  informal (progress)   prosperar vi   progresar vi

After she went blind, it took her a long time to learn how to get along without vision. Tras quedar ciega, le costó mucho tiempo aprender a arreglárselas sin ver.

            In my profession, you aren't going to get along without the support and help of more experienced people.

            En mi profesión no puedes prosperar/ progresart sin el apoyo y la colaboración de los más experimentados.

 

upon prep        formal, literary (on)        sobre prep

            He stepped upon the chair to get to the upper shelves. Se aupó sobre la silla para alcanzar los estantes superiores.

 

bother [sb] vtr           (annoy) molestar, fastidiar vi

            My little brother bothers me all the time.  Mi hermanito siempre me está molestando.

 

crumble vi       figurative (fall, collapse) desmoronarse v prnl   derrumbarse v prnl

            Centuries later, the empire began to crumble.  Siglos después, el imperio comenzó a desmoronarse.

 

lay down vi phrasal      informal (recline, lie down)         echarse, tumbarse v prnl

            I'm tired; I'm going to lay down on the bed for an hour.  Estoy cansada, voy a echarme en la cama por una hora.

 

as long as,/ so long as expr (providing that) siempre y cuando loc conj  / con tal de que loc conj(while)  mientras conj

            I am happy, as long as the sun always comes back around. Yo estoy feliz siempre y cuando el sol siga saliendo.

            So long as you're living under my roof, you'll obey my rules, young lady! Mientras vivas bajo mi techo obedecerás mis normas, señorita.

 

strength n        (force)   fuerza nf

            He built up his strength by going to the gym every day. Él aumentó mucho su fuerza yendo al gimnasio todos los días.

 

drop by vi phrasal        informal (pay a casual visit) (informal)    dejarse caer loc verb pasarse /  caer de sorpresa

            Peter dropped by earlier this afternoon.  Peter se dejó caer hoy por la tarde.

 

En clase apuntaremos que hay alguna versión en español, pero no tiene cabida en este blog.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario