lunes, 20 de febrero de 2023

YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND IN ME. Toy Story.

 

Randy Newman wrote and recorded this for the Pixar movie Toy Story, and it became the theme song for the popular franchise. In the first film, Woody, an old-fashioned toy cowboy voiced by Tom Hanks, vies for his owner's attention when the boy receives a modern space ranger toy named Buzz Lightyear, voiced by Tim Allen.

"The song is about the friendship of Woody and the boy, Andy," Newman told Rolling Stone in 2017. "I asked for adjectives, they gave me 'friendly,' 'comforting.' I took them seriously. Cartoon figures have adult emotions, just like a character in [the war film] Dunkirk."

The movie also features a duet version with Newman and Lyle Lovett.

This was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song, but lost to "Colors Of The Wind" from Pocahontas.

Michael Bublé covered this on his 2013 album, To Be Loved. His version peaked at #10 on the Adult Contemporary chart.

LYRICS

You've Got A Friend In Me

You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy you've got a friend in me
Yeah you've got a friend in me

You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
You got troubles and I got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together, we can see it through
'Cause you've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me

Some other folks might be a little bit smarter than I am
Bigger and stronger too
Maybe
But none of them
Will ever love you the way I do
It's me and you boy

And as the years go by
Our friendship will never die
You're gonna see it's our destiny
You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me


VOCABULARY

 

rough adj[ˈrʌf]

(abrasive)

áspero/a adj  rugoso/a adj

 

look   vi  [ˈlʊk]

(+ adj: appear to be) (AmL)

verse v prnl lucir vi parecer vi

 James looked tired when he arrived last night. James se veía cansado cuando llegó anoche.

 

pal n   [ˈpæl]

informal (friend, buddy) (coloquial)

colega n común compañero nm

 

stick n   [ˈstɪk]

(small branch, twig)

rama nf     palo nm

 

stick [sth]vtr

(attach with glue)

pegar vtr

 

see [sth]through vtr phrasal sep

informal (task, project: complete)

llevar a cabo loc verb

 It won't be easy, but we'll see this project through. / No va a ser fácil pero lo llevaremos a cabo.

folk npl[ˈfəʊk]

(people)

gente nf

 

 The villagers are simple folk, who still follow a very traditional way of life.// Los aldeanos son gente sencilla que todavía lleva un estilo de vida muy tradicional.

 

folks npl

US, informal (people) (coloquial)

gente nf

 

 Folks aren't very friendly around here. / La gente no es muy amable por aquí

 

smart adj  [ˈsmɑːt]

mainly US, colloquial (person: intelligent)

inteligente adj mf   listo/a adj

 

go by vi phrasal

figurative (time: pass)

pasar vi   irse v

 

 I can't believe the holiday is already over. Time went by too quickly!

 

 

might v aux

(expressing possibility)

es posible que loc verb

  [ˈmaɪt]

 

puede que vi + conj

 

I might go out on my bike today, but then again, I might not.

 

Es posible que salga a pasear en bicicleta hoy, pero también es posible que no.

 

Puede que salga a pasear en bicicleta hoy, pero también puede que no.

might v aux

(asking permission) (poder: condicional, 3ra, sglr)

podría vtr

 

Might I use your bathroom?

 

¿Podría pasar a tu baño?

might v past

(past tense of may) (poder: pretérito imperfecto, 3ra, sglr)

podía vtr

 

He asked if he might go to the bathroom.

 

Preguntó si podía ir al baño.

might v aux

(expressing annoyance) (condicional de poder)

podrías cond 2ª pers sing

 

Well! You might have let me know sooner!

 

¡Bueno! ¡Podrías habérmelo dicho antes!

At the beginning of Toy Story 3, it packs an ironic punch when played over the opening credits. The lyrics, "As the years go by, our friendship will never die" fade as we're shown the teenaged Andy has forgotten all about his old toy pals, now stored in boxes. (Certainly no surprise for Newman, who once told an audience after performing the sentimental tune, "It's a f--kin' lie, of course, but what do you expect? It's a cartoon").

At the end of the movie, Jessie the cowgirl and Buzz Lightyear dance to a Spanish version by the Gipsy Kings.



COVER: You_ve_Got_A_Friend_In_Me_-_Toy_Story_Cover_feat._Casey_Abrams-rzmIiku-gZk

COVER: You_ve_Got_a_Friend_In_Me_-_LIVE_Performance_by_4-year old_Claire_Ryann_and_Dad-ukD8zj6ngVY





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario