viernes, 27 de mayo de 2022

FEVER - LITTLE WILLIE JOHN - 1956 / FEVER - PEGGY LEE - 1958


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever_(Little_Willie_John_song)

"Fever"

Single by Little Willie John

Released.- May 1956

Genre.- Rhythm and blues

Length.-  2:40

Songwriter(s.- ) Eddie Cooley John Davenport

"Fever" is a song written by Eddie Cooley and Otis Blackwell, who used the pseudonym John Davenport. It was originally recorded by American R&B singer Little Willie John for his debut album, Fever (1956), and released as a single in April of the same year. The song topped the Billboard R&B Best Sellers in the US and peaked at number 24 on the Billboard pop chart. It was received positively by music critics and included on several lists of the best songs during the time it was released.


It has been covered by numerous artists from various musical genres, most notably by Peggy Lee, whose 1958 rendition became the most widely known version of "Fever" and the singer's signature song. Lee's version contained rewritten lyrics different from the original and an altered music arrangement. It became a top-five hit on the music charts in the UK and Australia in addition to entering the top ten in the US and the Netherlands. "Fever" was nominated in three categories at the 1st Annual Grammy Awards in 1959, including Record of the Year and Song of the Year


FEVER  - LITTLE WILLIE JOHN   - 1956

You never know how much I love ya
Never know how much I care
When you put your arms around me
I get a feelin' that's so hard to bear
You give me fever

When you kiss me
Fever when you hold me tight
Fever (fever, burn through) in the mornin'
An' fever all through the night

Listen to me, baby
Hear ev'ry word I say
No one could love you the way I do
'Cause they don't know how to love you my way
You give me fever

When you kiss me
Fever when you hold me tight
Fever (fever, burn through) in the mornin'
An' fever all through the night

Bless my soul, I love you
Take this heart away
Take these arms I'll never use
An' just believe in what my lips have to say
You give me fever

When you kiss me
Fever when you hold me tight
Fever (fever, burn through) in the mornin'
Fever all through the night

Sun lights up the daytime
Moon lights up the night
My eyes light up when you call my name
'Cause I know you're gonna treat me right
You give me fever

When you kiss me
Fever when you hold me tight
Fever (fever, burn through) in the mornin'
An' fever all through the night

Umm-mmm-mmm-mm-mmm-mm
Umm-umm-umm-um-um
Umm-mmm-mmm-mm-mmm-mm

FEVER  - PEGGY LEE   -  1958

Never know how much I love you
Never know how much I care
When you put your arms around me
I get a fever that's so hard to bear
You give me fever

When you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight
Fever! In the mornin', a-fever all through the night

Sun lights up the daytime
Moon lights up the night
I light up when you call my name
And you know I'm gonna treat you right
You give me fever

When you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight
Fever! In the mornin', a-fever all through the night

Everybody's got the fever
That is something you all know
Fever isn't such a new thing
Fever started long ago

Romeo loved Juliet
Juliet, she felt the same
When he put his arms around her
He said, "Julie, baby, you're my flame"
Thou giveth fever

When we kisseth, fever with thy flaming youth
Fever! I'm a fire, fever, yeah, I burn forsooth

Captain Smith and Pocahontas
Had a very mad affair
When her daddy tried to kill him
She said, "Daddy, oh, don't you dare"
He gives me fever

With his kisses, fever when he holds me tight
Fever! I'm his missus, daddy, won't you treat him right?

Now you've listened to my story
Here's the point that I have made
Chicks were born to give you fever
Be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade
They give you fever

When you kiss them, fever if you live and learn
Fever! 'Til you sizzle
What a lovely way to burn (x4)

VOCABULARY

Missus   noun  UK  /ˈmɪs.ɪz/ US  /ˈmɪs.ɪz/  informal = wife  = esposa

·         Me and the missus (= my wife) are going to our daughter’s for Christmas.

·         Have you met Jack’s new missus?

Sooth   noun [ U ]   old use  UK  /suːθ/ US  /suːθ/ = in sooth  = used to show or emphasize that something is true:

·         In sooth, I know not why I am sad.

Thou  pronoun   old use  UK  /ðaʊ/ US  /ðaʊ/ =you,= used when speaking to one person

Thou  noun  UK  /θaʊ/ US  /θaʊ/ plural thou  =informal for thousand , especially when referring to an amount of money:

·         "How much do you think it cost him?" "About  thirty  thou."

Treat  verb  UK  /triːt/ US  /triːt/  treat verb (DEAL WITH)  = to behave towards someone or deal with something in a particular way:

·         My parents treated us all the same when we were kids.

·         He treated his wife very badly.

·         It's wrong to treat animals as if they had no feelings.

·         I treat remarks like that with the contempt that they deserve.(Trato comentarios como ese con el desprecio que se merecen)

Other notable cover versions of "Fever" include those by Elvis PresleyBoney M.MadonnaChristina AguileraMichael BubléThe McCoysLa Lupe and Beyoncé. Madonna released it as a single from her fifth studio album, Erotica (1992), in March 1993 through Warner Bros. It topped the charts in Finland and the Hot Dance Club Songs in the US in addition to charting in the top 50 in many other countries. Madonna promoted "Fever" by filming and releasing a music video directed by Stéphane Sednaoui and performing the song on several television shows as well as her 1993 The Girlie Show World Tour. Various versions of "Fever" have been used in many films, plays and television shows.

La versión de La Lupe siguiente no es ejemplo para un buen aprendizaje de pronunciación, pero me resulta simpática.



«Fever» es una canción escrita por Eddie Cooley y Otis Blackwell,bajo el seudónimo de John Davenport, en 1956. El tema fue originalmente grabado por el cantante Little Willie John, aunque realmente alcanzó la fama en la versión de Peggy Lee de 1958.

La idea original para la composición de la canción partió de Eddie Cooley, quien se puso en contacto con el compositor Otis Blackwell para que le ayudara a desarrollarla. El cantante elegido por el sello King Records para grabar el tema fue Little Willie John, que en un principio rechazó la idea, pero que finalmente accedió a las presiones de Syd Nathan, dueño de la compañía discográfica. "Fever" fue lanzado como sencillo en abril de 1956, logrando alcanzar el puesto 24 de la lista Billboard Hot 100.

En mayo de 1958, Peggy Lee grabó su propia versión del tema, reescribiendo gran parte de la letra. Aunque nunca apareció acreditada como compositora, su letra ha sido la elegida por la mayor parte de los artistas que posteriormente versionaron la canción. Lee realizó una interpretación más lenta que la original de Little Willie John, acompañada únicamente por Joe Mondragon al contrabajo y por el prestigioso percusionista Shelly Manne. El chasquido de dedos que acompaña la grabación fue efectuado por la propia cantante. El sencillo, publicado en junio de 1958, fue un verdadero éxito, mayor que la versión original, alcanzando el puesto número 8 de las listas norteamericanas y el número 5 de las británicas. Fue además nominado a tres premios Grammy en 1959, incluida la categoría de mejor canción del año.

Otras notables versiones de «Fever» incluyen a Elvis PresleyMadonnaMichael BubléThe McCoysLa Lupe  o  Beyoncé.  La versión de Madonna fue publicada en 1993 como cuarto sencillo del álbum Erotica, alcanzando el número uno de la lista Billboard Hot 100 Dance Music.

 

En 1976, Rita Moreno interpretó una versión del tema en El show de los Teleñecos acompañado por "Animal" en la batería, que la distrajo repetida y cómicamente con un estilo de batería más agresivo que el que la canción requería, lo que causó que Moreno usara dos platillos para aplastar la cabeza de "Animal" y detener su salvaje interpretación. Erik Adams lo consideró en The A.V. Club como uno de los mejores momentos de la serie, y lo calificó como un "clásico del género" recordado por varias generaciones.

Durante el episodio titulado Marge Simpson in: "Screaming Yellow Honkers", perteneciente a la décima temporada de la serie de animación Los Simpson, el personaje de Edna Krabappel interpreta "Fever". La versión de La Lupe aparece en el episodio titulado "Angels Of Death" perteneciente a la segunda temporada de la serie de televisión Magic City

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario