lunes, 27 de mayo de 2024

FRIDAY I'M IN LOVE. The Cure

 
The Cure are an English rock band formed in 1978 in Crawley, West Sussex.

The Cure's Friday I'm In Love single was released on 15th May 1992.




https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/cure/friday-im-in-love-song-meaning-lyrics-story/

Robert Smith thinks it's just a "dumb" (tonto, estúpido) pop tune, but 30 years on, Friday remains the group's most enduring single.

Friday I'm In Love is a dumb pop song, but it's quite excellent actually, just because it's so absurd. It's so out of character - very optimistic and really out there in happy land. People think we're supposed to be leaders of some sort of 'gloom (melancolia) movement'. I could sit and write gloomy songs all day long, but I just don't see the point.

- Robert Smith to Spin, June 1992

  • The Cure's Wish album was released on Tuesday 21st April 1992
  • The Cure's Friday I'm In Love single was released on 15th May 1992

With Friday I'm In Love, Robert Smith achieved the peak of The Cure's pop career. The single, which reached Number 6 in June of 1992, is probably the band's best-known song in the UK, even 30 years later.

LYRICS

FRIDAY I'M IN LOVE
by The Cure

I don't care if Monday's blue,
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too.
Thursday, I don't care about you.
It's Friday, I'm in love.

Monday, you can fall apart.
Tuesday, Wednesday,
Break my heart.
Thursday doesn't even start.
It's Friday, I'm in love.

Saturday, wait,
And Sunday always
Comes too late,
But Friday never hesitate...

I don't care if Monday's black,
Tuesday, Wednesday,
Heart attack.
Thursday, never looking back.
It's Friday, I'm in love.

Monday, you can hold your head.
Tuesday, Wednesday,
Stay in bed.
Or Thursday, watch the walls instead.
It's Friday, I'm in love.

Saturday, wait,
And Sunday always
Comes too late,
But Friday, never hesitate... 

Dressed up to the eyes,
It's a wonderful surprise
To see your shoes and your spirits rise,
Throwing out your frown,
And just smiling at the sound,
And as sleek as a shriek,
Spinning round and round.
Always take a big bite,
It's such a gorgeous sight
To see you eat in the middle of the night.
You can never get enough,
Enough of this stuff.
It's Friday,
I'm in love.


VOCABULARY

to be in love

Estar enamorado

to care about something

Importarle algo, interesarse por algo

to fall apart

Desmoronarse, derrumbarse. Una persona, significa estar extenuado, no poder más. 

to break somebody's heart

Decepcionar a alguien. Romperle el corazón.

to hesitate

Vacilar, dudar, titubear, hacer una pausa antes de hablar por los nervios

a heart attack

Una crisis cardíaca, un ataque al corazón

to look back

Mirar hacia atrás, hacia el pasado

to be dressed up to the eyes

Estar muy bien vestido. Esta frase antigua evolucionó hasta convertirse en to be dressed up to the nines, que tiene el mismo significado.

to rise

Subir, elevar, alzarse

to throw out

Tirar, rechazar, expulsar, sacar, eliminar

frown

Ceño. El verbo to frown significa fruncir el ceño, en señal de enojo o de no entender algo.

sleek

Liso, brillante, elegante, acicalado

shriek

Chillido, alarido. El verbo to shriek significa chillar, gritar aullar.

to spin round

Girar, dar vueltas

to take a big bite

Dar una gran mordida, dar un mordiscón


COVERS


SUBTITULADA EN ESPAÑOL



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario